Knowing what to pack for a destination you’ve never travelled to before can be rather challenging. You’re left wondering what to pack for Hawaii that won’t leave you wishing you’d researched just a little bit more!
But a packing list for Hawaii isn’t that complex, because we’re here to give you a few pointers in the right direction. Feel free to use this as a printable packing list for Hawaii, to make sure you’ve ticked everything off the list!
Here are a few things you simply must pack for Hawaii.
What to Wear in Hawaii
Table of Contents
No matter how long your vacation is, you’re going to need to know the kinds of clothes you’ll be wearing in the beautiful archipelago islands. Your clothes for Hawaii should be similar to that of any other island holiday, be sure to bear that in mind as you create your own list.
You should also create Hawaii outfits that you can mix and match, and fit nicely with your entire packing list for Hawaii.
- Swimsuit – Of course, no island getaway is complete without a fair amount of swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying a great number of beach days. Be sure to pack at least one swimsuit that you are comfortable in.
- T-shirts – Pack a decent number of short-sleeve t-shirts that are comfortable and match with a number of the bottoms you’ll be packing. It’s better that all your clothes can be worn together, as this creates the maximum amount of outfits, with the least number of clothes.
- Sneakers – Pack sneakers that you find comfortable to walk in. During any island holiday, you’re sure to do a great deal of walking, exploring the towns and of course, your daily march to the beach.
- Hiking shoes (for Hawaii) – The archipelago is home to some of the most incredible hikes. You’ll even be able to hike to a volcano. If you love to hike, be sure to pack a good pair of hiking shoes/boots that can weather all terrains. You don’t want to miss out on the views of a lifetime because you left your shoes at home!
- Jeans and shorts – Make sure the clothes for your Hawaii trip include casual long bottoms for the night time, as well as shorts (and skirts) for the day time when it can get pretty warm.
- Hat – Your face will need to be well protected from the sun during the heat of the day. A wide sunhat is the best option, but a peak cap is a great second choice and might be a little easier to pack in your bag.
- Water shoes (for Hawaii) – If you’re planning on clambering over rocks and exploring the rugged shoreline, a pair of great water shoes would be good to bring along. They will help you stick to the rocks and prevent you from slipping.
- Light jacket – While it doesn’t generally get cold, it’s better to be safe than sorry and take a light jacket that will make sure you’re prepared for all eventualities.
- Lightweight pyjamas – Some nights can be rather humid, so be sure to pack pyjamas that are lightweight so you don’t overheat during the night.
So now you see, what to wear to Hawaii isn’t that difficult. Be sure to pack the essentials and clothes you’ll use in warm weather. But your Hawaii trip packing list is only just starting, here are a few more things you should be packing for your archipelago adventure!
What to Bring to Hawaii
It’s not just clothes you’ll be needing on your vacation, you’ll need to know how to pack for Hawaii and be prepared for all situations. Here are a few other things to pack for Hawaii!
- Reef-safe sunscreen – On an island holiday you need to keep your skin safe from the harsh sun, but it’s also your responsibility to do it in a way that’s safe for the environment. Hawaii is home to some of the most beautiful coral reefs, and recent studies have shown that regular sunscreen is damaging to coral reefs.
- UV-protective sunglasses – Protecting your eyes is another essential while on your island holiday. Be sure to bring along a pair of UV-protective sunnies while you’re packing for Hawaii, this way your eyes will be comfortable even when the sun is at it’s brightest during midday.
- Small Towel – You’ll need to dry off after your beach swims, but it’s best not to take up too much space in your bag with a towel. This is why a small towel is one of the essential things to bring to Hawaii.
- Refillable water bottle – If you plan on doing any hiking or substantial touring, you’ll need to have water on hand. It’s better to bring a refillable water bottle for these trips than to buy bottled water as you’ll be able to save a lot of money, as well as the environment
- Backpack – You’ll need to pack a day-pack if you’ll be away from your hotel for the entire day. Having a backpack on hand makes it a lot easier to carry all the items you’ll need.
- Emergency cash – While paying with your card is a lot more convenient nowadays, having cash-on-hand comes in very useful! When buying anything from street markets you’ll need a little cash on you. It’s also best to have it for any kind of emergency situation you might encounter.
- Toiletries – While it’s better to leave a few toiletries off your Hawaii vacation packing list (shampoo, conditioner, soap), there are a few essentials you should bring with. These include things like your personal medicine, make-up, hairbrush, hair products, as well as things that are light such as your toothbrush and toothpaste.
Wrapping Up Hawaii Packing List
Now that you know what to take to Hawaii, you’re all set to start packing those bags and heading to the famous islands. If you go prepared, a wonderful archipelago adventure awaits you!
Be sure to check, and double-check your Hawaii packing list before you leave, to make sure you have all the essentials, as well as a little extra room for bringing home a souvenir or two. It’s not every day you get the chance to travel to a new destination, so remember to take it all in and enjoy the trip!